Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lemon Cream Cupcakes


So it's confession time again. Once again, I have fallen off the wagon. It started sometime on Tuesday and it is still continuing. Wednesday, we had a birthday celebration at work where I made these cupcakes. Thursday, we had a farewell breakfast where I made some monkey bread. Everyone brought something in and I think I had a taste (or two or three) of just about everything. It's so frustrating that sometimes it seems so easy to resist things like this and other times, there just isn't any hope. My new hope is that I can stay on track throughout the weekend and at least maintain this week.

So let me tell you about these cupcakes. They are absolutely delicious. Yes, they do have 8 points for each cupcake, but it's just about worth every one of those points! You almost don't even need the frosting on these, although it does add a little something extra to them. I love how pretty they turned out, too. Just having the right cupcake liners and decorations can really make such a difference. Here's the recipe:

LEMON CREAM CUPCAKES
adapted from Your Cup of Cake
Servings: 24
Points+: 8


Lemon Cake:
1 box Lemon Cake Mix
4 egg whites
1/4 c. oil
3/4 c. 1% buttermilk
1/4 c. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
3/4 c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla extract
zest of 3 lemons

Lemon Glaze:
3 T. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 t. lemon zest
1-2 c. powdered sugar

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 c. butter, softened
8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
2 t. vanilla extract
3-4 c. powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.

Sift cake mix into a small bowl to remove any lumps.

In a large bowl, gently whisk egg whites, oil, buttermilk, lemon juice, sour cream, vanilla and lemon zest together.

Combine cake mix and wet ingredients and stir well.

Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until and inserted knife comes out clean.

Lemon Glaze: In a bowl, combine all ingredients using a whisk. Add powdered sugar until your glaze reaches the consistency of tomato soup. (I can't think of anything else that has that consistency...)

Use a toothpick to punch small holes into the top of each cupcake so the glaze can sink into the cake.

Spoon glaze over the nearly cooled cupcakes, and allow time for the glaze to set.

Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl and continue to beat in vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If frosting becomes too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk.

Pipe frosting into cooled cupcakes and top with lemon slices or sprinkles.


EXERCISE:
After the non-stop eating that I had today, I knew that I definitely had to move tonight. Even though I am trying to scale back my exercise a little bit, I knew that I still needed to try to burn some extra calories, so I did the hour-long Pure Burn Super Strength workout video by Bob Harper. Hopefully that will help to make up even just a little bit for today.

I've decided to hide the scale until my official weigh-in on Tuesday. If I don't, I will just get frustrated by the number and it may throw me even more off track.

So long for today...

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering but 24 points for one cupcake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. You're right, it's only 8 pts. I made the correction. Thanks for asking about it.

      Delete
  2. Those cupcakes look too good to eat! They are SO pretty! I can't believe you made them! And they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete