Monday, August 20, 2012

Slow Cooker Boiled Peanuts


All of my non-Southern friends are looking at the title of this post and asking, "What kind of peanuts?" You read right. In the South, they boil their peanuts. I don't know the origin of this, but they're really not bad and actually kind of good, Even my mother and sister who both said they didn't really like boiled peanuts said how good they were. The first time I tried them, I thought they tasted like mashed potatoes. Obviously, they have grown on me and I now love them!

I was always intimidated by having to have the perfect formula of salt and water and figuring out how long to cook the peanuts for. So it took me a long time before I tried to make them for the first time. Then, I heard last year that you could make them in the slow cooker. I was lucky that I got it right on the first try!


TC has been wanting me to make some boiled peanuts for a while now. So when I saw some good sized peanuts at the grocery store the other day, I made sure to pick some up. I also knew that my dad and brother-in-law really like them and would help out eating them. I started them Friday night when we went to bed and when we woke up Saturday morning, the whole camper smelled like boiled peanuts. We definitely had boiled peanuts for breakfast that morning! Here's the recipe:

SLOW COOKER BOILED PEANUTS
Southern Living Yankee Original
Servings: 8 - 10


3 lbs. raw peanuts
1/3 - 1/2 c. salt

Rinse peanuts and allow to drain. Place in slow cooker. Fill slow cooker with water to top. Add salt (depending on how salty you like them) and stir until salt is dissolved. Cook on low heat 10 - 12 hours. Enjoy!


EXERCISE:
Even though this is my normal day of rest, I felt like I needed to get in just a litle bit of activity this evening. So while TC set up the camper on our spot for the weekend, I took a quick jog around the area. I only ran for about 20 minutes, but it was just enough to earn 2 APs. I know it doesn't completely make up for all the indulgences I had over the weekend, but it's better than nothing!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment