Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fresh Summer Corn Chowder


Wow! Where did the weekend go? I am definitely not ready for the work week again. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun! We all had such a good time camping this weekend. TC is already trying to figure out when we'll be able to go again. Probably in a couple of weeks as long as nothing comes up to fill the calendar. We'll have to see.

I have been looking for a corn chowder recipe for a couple of weeks. I've looked on Pinterest and I've also Googled it. I just couldn't find one that I liked though. It seemed like they all had potatoes or some other ingredient that I didn't really want in it. So I decided to try to come up with one on my own. I figured out what I did want and went from there. TC really liked this soup he ate his and Addison's since she wasn't really in the mood to eat dinner tonight. Here's what I came up with:

FRESH SUMMER CORN CHOWDER
A Southern Living Yankee Original
Servings: 4
Points+: 6


6 slices turkey bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, any color, chopped
6 ears corn on the cob, cut off cob and cobs saved*
1 15-oz. can FF chicken broth
16 oz. FF half and half
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 t. parsely
1/4 t. thyme

Heat medium pot over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add turkey bacon and cook about 5 minutes, add onion and pepper and cook until veggies are tender. Add remaining ingredients and heat until just about to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Enjoy!

* I added the cobs to the soup with the other ingredients to try to get a little extra flavor. When the soup was just about done, I removed them and allowed it to cook for a couple more minutes.


EXERCISE
I got up again this morning and went for another run. My knee has been bothering me the last couple of days, so I tried to take it a little easy on it and even incorporated some 30 second walking intervals into the run on my way back. Since it's Sunday, you know what that means...Yoga Meltdown. It will be level 2 tonight. I'm pretty tired, so I probably don't need the yoga to help wind down, but I think my muscles could really use the stretch tonight.

So long for today...

1 comment: