Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Garden Update


So I told you all a few months back that I planted a garden, right? Well, I thought I would give you an update on that garden.

In the garden, I planted 3 green leaf lettuce plants, 4 tomato plants, some cucumbers, green onions and some bell peppers. I might have planted zucchini, I can’t remember. Only time will tell on that one.

I’m sad to say that the lettuce didn’t make it. I think the rabbits had a wonderful feast on it and ate it pretty quickly after I planted it. I hope they enjoyed it, because this is the last year they will be eating my lettuce 

I also lost a tomato plant. I’m not sure why, it just withered up and died. I thought I was going to lose another one, but it seems to be doing ok now, just a little smaller than the rest.


A couple weeks ago, I realized that I have some tomatoes growing. They’re still pretty small, but they’re there. When I went out to count them the other night, I counted nine of them. I was pleasantly surprised that I have that many. I absolutely love tomatoes. I have a lot of great recipes that I want to try with them. Up until now, I have been getting fresh tomatoes from my parents and from my sister. I really do appreciate that, but I really want to get some of my own. It will make me feel so accomplished!


My green onions are doing pretty good, too. And I also have a couple of peppers growing. One looks like it’s not going to amount to much because of a spot it has on it, but we’ll have to wait and see. These ones are on the orange pepper plant. There aren’t any yet on the red pepper plant. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.


With everything starting to produce, I decided to put something up to keep the critters out of it. It’s not the most beautiful thing in the world, but I think it will work. We got some posts and put chicken wire around it. We also put some bird netting over top so that I could still get into the garden to collect my goods when they’re ready.


I will keep you all posted throughout the season both with the garden and any recipes I make using veggies out of it!. I'm really hoping that my black thumb might be turning green!

So long for today…

4 comments:

  1. Oh fun! I love it! The fence will definitely help! I have already harvested my spinach and now I planted butternut squash and another type of pepper in its place. I am hoping that when I get back from traveling this week that we will have red tomatoes, zucchini and cucumbers. I have already picked three jalapenos, but so far that is it! I LOVE having fresh veggies in my garden! Can't wait to make fresh salsa, the only thing is, I may have to replant my cilantro as it has already gone to seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sounds like you're an experienced gardener! This was my first garden, so I was just hoping for ANYTHING to grow in it! I've heard stories about the first year being the toughest!

      Delete
  2. It's so hard with this SC heat to keep a garden, but mulch really does help. If you decide you want to put some down, water the area really well first and then put some mulch in-it will help with retaining moisture during the hot months.
    It's cool you have a garden-it seems like we have alot of the same items planted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip D! I might try the mulch if the rain slacks off.

      Delete