Monday, July 2, 2012

The Only Chocolate Chip Cookie You Will Ever Need to Know How to Make for the Rest of Your Life


I think that is the longest post title in blog history! I'm going to be honest with you, too. I don't know how true the name of the recipe is. Sure, these are really good cookies, but I think my old standard Crisco recipe is better. Maybe I should whip up a batch of those, too. Simply for comparison purposes only though! Perhaps I will have a chocolate chip cookie bake off against myself. Ha!

Seriously though, I took these cookies to a birthday party and also a cookout over the weekend and everyone raved about them. I made them at varying degrees of doneness since everyone is different on that. Personally, I like them to still be chewy in the middle. Of course, I also like a glass of milk on the side, too. These were pretty hard to scoop out and I actually ended up breaking my cookie scoop in them. I guess I will have to buy another one, again! Maybe I should write to Farberware about it. Anyway, here is the recipe:

THE ONLY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE YOU WILL EVER NEED TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
adapted from For Me, For You
Servings: 24
Points+: 10


2 cups minus 2 Tbsp. (8 ½ oz.) cake flour
1 2/3 cups (8 ½ oz.) bread flour
1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. coarse salt, such as kosher
2 ½ sticks (1 ¼ cups; 10 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups (10 oz.) light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. (8 oz.) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ¼ pounds bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks, preferably about 60% cacao content, such as Ghirardelli
Sea salt or kosher salt for garnishing

Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk well; then set aside.

Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until very light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low; then add dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. (Unless you have a plastic guard that sits around the rim of the bowl, this will make a big mess at first, with flour flying everywhere. I found that carefully holding a dish towel around the top of the bowl helped a lot.) Add the chocolate chips, and mix briefly to incorporate. Press plastic wrap against the dough, and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. The dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.


When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the bowl of dough from the refrigerator, and allow it to soften slightly. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.

Using a standard-size ice cream scoop – mine holds about 3 fluid ounces, or about 1/3 cup – scoop six mounds of dough onto the baking sheet, making sure to space them evenly. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt, and bake until golden brown but still soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies onto the rack to cool a bit more.


EXERCISE:
Well, since the heat is still pretty oppressive here, running was not an option this evening. Instead, I had planned to do Level 1 of Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed and Shred, but just could bring myself to do it. I'm entitled to a day of rest every now and then, right? I even hear it's good for me!

So long for today...





7 comments:

  1. Thanks! I am dying to make these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you liked them so much!

      Delete
  2. Yum, nothing like a good chewy chocolate chip cookie with milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - I feel the same way! Especially if they're still warm from the oven! So good!

      Delete
  3. Is it necessary to refridgerate?
    I don't want to wait that long

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it necessary to refridgerate?
    I don't want to wait that long :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolover - the original recipe says that refrigeration is key. It's supposed to create a better texture. The cookies will still turn out if you don't chill them first.

      Delete