Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Red, White & Blue Vanilla Cupcakes


Ok, so I love to bake. But I think my family, my neighbors and my co-workers are getting tire of me always pawning baked goods off on them, so I decided to make some cupcakes for Addison to take into school today. I haven't made anything for her class since St. Patrick's day, so they were about due for some goodies.

We are headed to a family reunion for TC's dad's family tomorrow morning at the beach. We're going to go early, then when munchkin gets tired, we'll head home. Not sure yet what we'll do for the rest of the day, if anything. But I took Thursday off of work and Friday is my normal Friday off, so I'm going to have a nice lo-o-o-ong weekend. But we have family coming into town for my neice's birthday party, so we'll have a good time.

Back to the cupcakes. How pretty are they? I put a ton of pictures up today because I couldn't decide on which ones I wanted to use, so I used them all! Ha! These were pretty fun to make and not very hard, either. When I saw these on Lauren's website, I knew I was going to make them for the 4th of July. Here's the recipe:

RED, WHITE & BLUE CUPCAKES
adapted from Lauren's Latest
Servings: 18
Points+: 9


4 large egg whites
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
red & blue food coloring


1-8 oz. light cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup softened salted butter
2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Sprinkles, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.


In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Alternate stirring in the dry ingredients with the milk until none remain. Scrape sides to ensure even mixing. Fold in whipped egg whites. Divide batter between 3 different bowls. Stir red food coloring into one and blue into another one. Alternating between the white, red and blue cake batters, spoon into prepared cupcake pans, alternating colors. Once muffin tins are filled 3/4 of the way, bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserted. Set aside to cool.

For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together to combine. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Scrape sides and beat 3 minutes until frosting lightens in color and thickens slightly. Frost cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.


EXERCISE:
Since I had a couple of things to do to get ready for tomorrow, I decided to stick to a video workout. I did the 20 minute express workout on Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength dvd. Since I haven't done any strength work for a while, I figured my muscles would thank me. So far, they are!

I hope you all have a very safe and Happy 4th of July! Happy Birthday America!

So long for today...




2 comments:

  1. They were so good and worth every bite! I love the tang that the cream cheese frosting adds!

    ReplyDelete