Monday, July 30, 2012

Light Chicken Marsala


So it was back to the grind today. In all honesty though, it wasn't that bad for a Monday. Maybe it's because I know this is a short week or maybe it's because we have a few fun events planned for work this week. Whatever the reason, today wasn't too bad and the rest of the week looks like it might not be bad either. Keep your fingers crossed that I didn't just jimx myself.

One of my favorite shows in the Summer time is Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. I first discovered this show last Summer and was kind of sad when I realized there were only a few episodes to watch. I was happy to see it returned this year. This show has trainer Chris Powell take on a new client in each episode. He works with these people for a year of their life to help them to lose an extreme amount of weight. I love how he has such compassion for his clients. Some of them, I'm not sure I could keep as clients. On one epidose, they made a lighter version of Chicken Marsala. As soon as I saw it, I went to the website to find the recipe. I made it over the weekend and even TC, who doesn't like mushrooms, liked it. What a great victory! Here's the recipe:

LIGHT CHICKEN MARSALA
adapted from Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition
Servings: 4
Points+: 5


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. sea salt
Black pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. light butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup Marsala wine
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped

Pound chicken breast 1/4 inch thick between plastic wrap.

Place flour, salt, and pepper in large zip lock bag. Add chicken breasts, two at a time, and shake well to lightly coat with flour, place on plate.

Add olive oil to large nonstick sauté pan, add chicken breast and brown for 3 minutes, turn over and brown other side for 1 minute. Add 2 Tbsp. water to sauté pan lid and quickly place on pan to steam chicken breast for 1 minute. Remove lid and transfer chicken breast to clean platter and place in warm oven.

Add butter to sauté pan, melt over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes, add Marsala wine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Add chicken breast to mushrooms; add chicken broth and parsley, turning chicken to coat with sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes until sauce thickens.


EXERCISE:
Normally, my Monday night would be a rest night. But I really wanted to do everything that I could to get that pesky scale to drop a little bit. Instead of working out pretty intensely tonight, I decided to go for a walk. Once again, Mother Nature had other plans. Thanks for watering the flowers, but no thanks for cancelling my walk. Despite her best efforts to keep me from working out, Mother Nature failed. I decided to dust of Walk Away the Pounds again and I did the 2 mile walk tonight. Let's hope it makes the scale happy tomorrow!

So long for today...

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE chicken marsala! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good, too! You couldn't really tell that it was low fat since it had the little bit of breading on it.

    ReplyDelete